Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Overheard at BlogHer '11

How Fun Was That?!?

So BlogHer '11 was last weekend in San Diego and it was excruciatingly fun, from the lovely people in attendance to the delightful restaurants to the informative sessions to the gorgeous weather to the...well, I'd say more but I've already blown through the set of repurposed complimentary adjectives I bought on Etsy.

In short, it kicked heinie.

Of course, it can be difficult to get away to a conference with life as busy as it is. If you are one of the folks who wanted to go to BlogHer but were unable to do so, I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you in person and pawn off a customized foot sander on you in the process (long story).

You're in luck, however, because I made a point during my time accosting total strangers networking at the conference to keep my ears open for intriguing conversational tidbits floating around in the halls, between the sessions and on the expo floor.

Why? So I could report them to you, silly!

That's right, I kept a little notebook of juicy comments made by my fellow attendees (as well as sponsors, organizers and, once, janitorial staff) specifically to share with those of you unable to attend this year's event.

What better way to experience the emotional core of the conference than to be privy to the raw, uncensored current of exchanges flowing through the seething mass of attendees? It's practically like being there, right?

So let's blow the lid off what really went down at the conference, yes? Yes!


Top Ten Comments Overheard at BlogHer '11

10. "Smrfflk. Coffee! Ptxnggy."
Friday, 10:21 am, Expo Hall

9. "I'm sorry, but there's no room 47X on this map."
Saturday, 12:04 pm, by the giant Twizzler sculpture

8. "Why, thank you. I made them myself. From felt."
Friday, 1:17 pm, "Up" escalator

7. "How the hell do you make vegan spare ribs?!"
Friday, 3:48 pm, the big room that looked like a boat

6. "It's not poofy at all. It looks good."
Saturday, 9:47 am, Marriott Lobby

5. "Look, pirates!"
Saturday, 5:07 pm, Convention Center Patio

4. "I took nine of them. They had extras."
Friday, 2:32 pm, Expo Hall

3. "Little Red Corvette! BOW-WUH!"
Saturday, 4:17 pm, Marriott Poolside Bar

2. "I think someone's tweeting from the third stall..."
Saturday, 10:52 am, Ladies' Room

1. "You've got some glitter there. Right there.
Down a bit, to the left. No...
you'd better get it."
Sunday, 9:57 am, Marriott Bell Desk

And there you have it.

Thank you, San Diego!!



Our Contest Winner Is
Definitely A Big Deal

Congratulations to Nicole Pelton of Not Just a Working Mom for winning last week's book giveaway! Nicole was selected when her description of time spent slaving under a ruthless dry-cleaning regime was drawn from the official LJKGW ten-gallon hat.

As we speak, a copy of Stefanie Wilder-Taylor's hilarious new memoir "I'm Kind of a Big Deal: And Other Delusions of Adequacy" is winging its way toward her front porch. Enjoy, Nicole, and thanks for playing!



Special Thanks...

...to Amy at The Bitchin' Wives Club for bringing not one but TWO huge mustache lollipops all the way from Wisconsin to San Diego for me. You rock!



23 comments:

Cheryl said...

Those 'Sconies sure know how to do things right, don't they?

Pseudo said...

I can't believe I did not make a San Diego BlogHer. Thanks for making it real for me over here ; -))

Wanderlust said...

I'm still in mourning that I missed BlogHer (again)! My homies from Oz (Eden and Woog and Mummytime) were there and I still didn't go. Slaps forehead. Glad you had a good time.

Pearl said...

But you still have foot sanders to give away, right?

:-)

Pearl

Alexandra said...

What? You didn't overhear, "Man, can you believe the mob for The Chicktionary foot sanders?? I almost lost my leg."

Alexandra said...

P.S. Just so you know: I was thrilled to meet you.

Thrilled.

anymommy said...

Love it. So fun to see you again!

Nicole Pelton said...

Thanks! On my doorstep this morning, only bringing home the bacon has prevented me from reading it. How embarassing, though, must go update my blog. Wish I could have see you at Blogher, but now I feel like I was there.

Michael from dadcation.com said...

I saw you from afar a couple of times and never got to say "hello" this year. Dammit!

So, "hello." We'll talk in NYC next year.

Robyn Wright of Robyn's Online World said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!

Don't forget the ever popular "Oh yes (pause) I know you"

Beth Kephart said...

so glad you had such a wonderful time!

Celeste said...

I love this post! Superwitty! I had a blast at BlogHer11 (first timer). Look forward to following your future posts...

CHEERS!
Celeste

Ann Imig said...

Anna, you're just like nachos.

Never enough!!

xoxo

Mouthy Housewife said...

I started reading your list hoping nothing I said was on there. Fund My Implants, anyone?

Liz @ ewmcguire said...

The tweeting and chatting in the bathroom stalls was outta control. WAY outta control.

♥ Braja said...

I have a recipe for vegan spare ribs if you want it....

MS. LEFLER!!! LONG TIME!!

xo

When Pigs Fly said...

Glad you had a good time. Wish I could have met you. Quite bummed I didn't win the book. Now, I will just have to buy it. I'll just have to see if I can download it to my Kindle.

Cheryl said...

Hysterical!

Sorry I only saw you for two seconds by the escalator. But it was long enough to get a foot sander. Clearly in that brief time you got a look at my scaly heels.

xo

Sherri said...

Hilarious!

And when you get glitter in places friend's won't help you remove it? That's a good conference.

Amy W said...

Aw, I'm so glad you liked them! ...I hope they were cola flavored and not black licorice.

Avitable said...

I'm very proud that #1 on your is probably thanks entirely to me and my glitter shirt.

Avitable said...

*on your ^list

Erin said...

You were really weird about the whole glitter extraction thing. i thought we were friends.

(Those were so weird and funny).