Monday, August 18, 2008

What's Up With Book Lagniappe #1?

[For most people in the United States, the French/Creole word lagniappe - pronounced LAYN-yap - is unfamiliar. As a native (if relatively short-term) New Orleanian, though, I grew up with this delightful Cajun term for an unexpected gift to a stranger or customer. Watch out, now...Cajun expressions burrow into you just like chiggers. I just know you'll be using this one at work sometime soon.]


Book Lagniappe #1 is THE NEW YORKERS by Cathleen Schine.

I really enjoyed this novel. (I promise I won't lay any lagniappe on you that I didn't really enjoy.) If you'd like to read my "review" of it on GoodReads, it's right here. (It's not an official review, you understand, but rather my comments on why I liked the book, etc.)

If you'd like to check out the book's listing on Amazon, it's over here.

So here's where the lagniappe comes in: If this sounds like a book you'd like to have for yourself, then be the first to post a comment below and I will mail you my copy of the book. That's right - for keeps. (I have the trade paperback edition, in excellent condition.) And, yes, I pay all postage and handling. (If you'd like extra handling, please note that in your comment.)

Maybe you'll love the book and keep it on your shelf for years. Maybe you'll love it so much you can't keep it to yourself and you pass it along to someone else. Maybe it's not your cup of tea but you hand it off to someone who can't put it down.

One way or another, someone's going to get some happiness out of this deal. (I'm starting to suspect that's why we're all here in the first place, yes?)

Have fun and watch for Book Lagniappe #2 coming soon!

Note: If you're posting a comment in order to win the lagniappe, please make sure to include your email address, etc. so I can follow up with you and get your mailing address. Fear not - I won't divulge your info.

3 comments:

Hip2Houswife said...

Welcome to the (personal)blogosphere! I'll be checking back often. And as a lifelong New Yorker, I'd love to read the book!
nancyjrab@yahoo.com

Donna said...

I have always loved the word lagniappe and have even used it (but not in relation to books). Now I need to put that book on my list (you know, the one I never get to. But one can dream...)

Anna Lefler said...

Congratulations, "reallyforty!" You're the first LJKGW Book Lagniappe winner EVER! THE NEW YORKERS will be hurtling toward you asap and I really hope you enjoy the read. Thanks for your comment and come back soon... :^) Anna